Biblical Foundations of Literature

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Brief Introduction

I offer this post as a breif introduction to one of the two themes I am planning on working throughout this blog (more may come up on their own, but two are defintely going to be there). If any of you have taken a previous class from me (or noticed what seems to appear in my blog more than anything else) you already know what I am going to write on: The Lord of the Rings.

Because my expertise is in Literature of the Fantastic, and because ninety percent of all Fantastic Literature owes a major debt to Tolkien, my studies have in many ways centered around his works (Also, I was given the order to not write about him from one of my professors so I have taken it upon myself to include Tolkien in a paper for every class except hers).

I want to make a quick comparison which will figure throughout the rest of my examination: The Lord of the Rings is written in the style of the books of Maccabees, and, to a degree, the entire Bible. Tolkien does not fill in all the lacuna present within his world, at least no in the Lord of the Rings proper (his volumes of back story, on the other hand, cover everything except Queen BerĂșthiel's Cats).

Expect to see more Lord of the Rings, though because it is so specialized I will have all entries of this nature begin with a LotR: in the title.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home