Biblical Foundations of Literature

Friday, December 01, 2006

Free Food

Did I get your attention with my subject line? Every Friday during the school year the Catholic Parish next to the birdhouses puts on a free lunch (Chunch, from Church Lunch) from 11:15 to 1:30, no purchase necessary. Free food, fun, and fellowship.

Anyway, that is just background to what I want to talk about. I joined a couple of people I know today at Chunch and they were talking about the book of Jonah. Now my group did Jonah, so I figured I might have something to offer. After a few minutes talking, I realized our discussion had nothing to do with anything we even considered in our group presentation. Just goes to show you how versatile the Bible is.

The subject we discussed was Mercy. The exact issue we were looking at was how the worm/bush plot point was associated with the God/Ninevah plot point. The final conclusion came described like this:

"The reason Jonah was in need of the bush to shade him was because he doubeted God's mercy, expecting him to smite Ninivah. In response, God showed his mercy by giving Jonah a bush under which to shade himself. So while doubting God's mercy he himself was recipiant of that mercy.

"God then resinds the mercy he showed Jonah by letting the tree be eaten. Jonah then gets angry that God has not shown him perpetual mercy, yet he is simultaneously angry that God has shown mercy to the Ninivites."

Just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home